International Office is the headquarters of the international FPMT organization, coordinating communication between Lama Zopa Rinpoche and the organization, as well as providing support and services to the entire Foundation.
International Office's purpose is to implement the vision, the resolutions, and strategic decisions laid out by the Spiritual Director and the Board of Directors.
FPMT International Office is the office of FPMT Inc., which is the legal entity of International Office. The terms FPMT Inc. and International Office are interchangeable. International Office is Lama Zopa Rinpoche's office, therefore whenever FPMT Inc. or International Office is mentioned, the guidance of our Spiritual Director is implicit.
|...It [the International Office] is important—to make some sort of communication between the centers and me and to facilitate a learning process among the centers themselves.|
|There is a need for organization in order to be able to help others, to be able to help more sentient beings. As an individual we can't do much. We need to be organized.|
International Office was known as Central Office until 1996.
Services Provided by International Office
- Collects, archives and transmits advice from the Spiritual Director throughout the organization and to specific centers, projects and individuals.
- Keeps the Spiritual Director and the Board informed of the status of all parts of the FPMT, shares new policy and advice from the Board with the organization.
- Keeps aware of the activities of the different aspects of the organization, being able to share information as helpful and needed.
|...[International Office] can put all the information together and make it known in each different place.
...We exist as we do now through a process of evolution. Some older centers have had good experiences and have learned how to do things well. Doing things is not simply an intellectual exercise but something that comes from acting every day and learning the way to do things until you reach the point where you can do them straight away. Therefore it is good that [International] Office has a pool of this collective experience so that all our centers can share in it and help reinforce each other.
- Distributes information about the organization via various communication channels, including fpmt.org, Mandala magazine, brochures, and so on.
- Provides information and support when appropriate to organizations and individuals wishing to interact with the FPMT.
- Promotes and diffuses FPMT Wisdom Culture, which is the way of life and practice originated by the founder and Spiritual Director of the FPMT, throughout the organization.
- In consultation with the Spiritual Director and FPMT teachers develops standard education programs and materials.
- Advises the Board of FPMT Inc about new initiatives and policy which may be needed and helpful for the organization's development.
- Creates guidelines in response to the needs of the organization.
- Works to fulfill the administrative needs of the organization in order to leave the Spiritual Director free to devote his time to transmitting the Dharma.
...I cannot do everything. Yet you call on me for everything. If you ask me all these things then there is no need for the Central Office. However, my idea when I made the Central Office was that it would be helping me so that I would have more time for Dharma education. You people understand all these modern things. I want my main occupation to be Dharma education.
...Lama Yeshe cannot do everything... that is why I give each center a geshe and an interpreter, a director and administration. That is why I created the Central Office. Do not bring every job to me.
- Assists groups or projects considering affiliation with FPMT.
- Produces texts, curricula and study materials for the different Dharma courses and teachings throughout the Foundation.
- Supports the development and certification of qualified FPMT Dharma teachers.
- Responds to the needs of centers, projects, services and students either directly or by referral to suitable sources of assistance.
- Works with center directors, regional and national coordinators and others to support organizational development and solve problems.
- Creates training workshops for those offering service.
- Provides human resources assistance in appointing suitable teachers, directors and spiritual program coordinators
- Arranges annual long life pujas for His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Lama Zopa Rinpoche.
- Arranges for the pujas and other virtuous activities put in place by Lama Zopa Rinpoche at various monasteries in Nepal and India for the development and harmony of the Foundation. Whenever these pujas are performed, monks read a one-page dedication prepared by Rinpoche, so that the merit is dedicated to removing all obstacles to all the FPMT Dharma activities (including all centers, projects and study groups) and for all students and the benefactors of the Puja Fund.
Implementation of Lama Zopa Rinpoche's Projects
- Raises funds for and monitors all the charitable projects introduced by Lama Zopa Rinpoche
- Manages Lama Zopa Rinpoche's personal donations directed to specific charitable projects
- The Finance Department of International Office monitors funds and trusts dedicated to activities within the Foundation.
In dependence upon agreed priorities for the organization's development and support, the different departments in International Office create an annual plan and budget, which requires approval by the Board of Directors of FPMT Inc.
International Office operating expenses are funded through:
- Friends of FPMT Donations
- An administrative fee charged on donations to managed accounts. (As is customary for non-profit organizations, a percentage of all incoming donations is deducted and donated to offset a portion of the administrative expenses of FPMT Inc. This percentage is decided by the Board and reviewed from time to time.)
- Profit from the Foundation Store
- Investments Income